Virat Kohli (born on 5 November 1988) is an Indian cricketer and the India national team’s current captain. A right-handed top-order batsman, Kohli is regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world.
He plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and has been the team’s captain since 2013. Since October 2017, he has been the top-ranked ODI batsman globally and is currently 2nd in Test rankings with 886 points.
Among Indian batsmen, Kohli has the best Test rating (937 points), ODI rating (911 points), and T20I rating (897 points). Virat is inspired by the legend Sachin Tendulkar, and as per his batting style, people think that he will break the records of his inspiration.
Virat Kohli Biography
|Real name||Virat kohli|
|Nickname||Chikoo, Run Machine|
|Profession||Indian Cricketer (Batsman)|
|Height (approx.)||In centimeters – 175 cm In meters – 1.75 m In Feet inches – 5’ 9”|
|Weight (approx.)||In kilograms – 69 kg In pounds – 152 lbs|
|Body measurements (approx.)||Chest – 42 in or 107 cm Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm Waist – 31 in or 79 cm|
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of birth||5 November 1988|
|Age (as in 2020)||31 years|
|School||Vishal Bharti Public School, Delhi Saviour Convent Senior Secondary School, Paschim vihar, Delhi|
|Educational Qualifications||12th Standard|
|Address||DLF City Phase-1 Block-C, Gurugram|
|Father||Late Prem Kohli|
|Siblings||Brother-Vikas Kohli Sister- Bhawna Kohli|
|Marriage date||11 December 2017|
|International Debut||ODI– 18 August 2008 against Sri Lanka at Dambulla Test– 20 June 2011 against West Indies at Kingston T20 – 12 June 2010 against Zimbabwe at Harare|
|Jersey Number||#18 (India) #18 (IPL)|
|Domestic/State Team||Delhi, India Red, RCB|
|Favourite shot||Cover Drive, Flick Shot|
|Coach||Raj Kumar Sharma|
|Net worth (approx.)||Rs 400 crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Virat Kohli
- KID MAGNET: Can you imagine this person who hurls all mothers and sisters at the Pakistani cricket team to get along cutely with children? He posts multiple videos of his nephew Aarav and has posted videos of MS Dhoni’s and Harbhajan Singh’s daughter as well, as he plays with them. Not just that, but he also has a foundation for children, which ensures proper treatment of underprivileged children.
- HIS NICKNAME: Yuvraj Singh and MS Dhoni have often been noted to refer to Kohli as Cheeku. The story behind this is that when Kohli used to play for Ranji Trophy in Delhi, he developed a phobia of losing hair, which is why he went and got his hair cropped very short. To which, his then coach Amit Chowdhary quoted that he resembled the cartoon “Cheeku” from Champak because of his evenly shaved head and big ears, and ever since then, his teammates call him that only. Dog lover
- Apart from being a heartthrob, Kohli is a major dog lover. He has a pet named Bruno that he often posts on social media, and paparazzi’s have often snapped him petting guard dogs. He adopted fifteen dogs once as they were in desperate need of care and treatment.
- Since the age of 3, Virat was fascinated by cricket.
- When he was 9½ years old, his father took him to Raj Kumar Sharma’s West Delhi Cricket Academy.
- In 2003, his coach Raj Kumar Sharma had invited Ashish Nehra to his academy, where he awarded young Kohli as he was the highest run-scorer for Delhi in the 2002-2003 Polly Umrigar Trophy, with 172 runs at an average of 34.40.
- His favorite subject was ‘History,’ and he used to hate ‘Maths.’
- In 2006, his father died of a brain stroke, but the very next day after his father’s death, he played a match-saving knock for Delhi against Karnataka, where he scored 90 runs.
- He never had any backup plan for his future, as he always wanted to be a cricketer.
- He has several superstitions. He wears black wristbands and never forgets to wear his ‘Kada’ before his matches.
- He is scared of heights.
- He is very aggressive as well as an emotional person. He cries when he gets upset. He was seen crying on the field when India did not qualify for the semi-finals in 2012’s T20 World cup.
- In 2012, he was named as one of the ten best dressed international men.
- He was appointed the first brand ambassador of Border Security Force (BSF).
- He is a huge fan of Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer. He is also the co-owner of the ‘UAE Royals’ International Premier Tennis League team.
- He loves tattoos, and his count of tattoos keeps on increasing. The first on his left shoulder is ‘God’s eye,’ which symbolizes the power of seeing and understanding that which is unknown and unknowable. Second on his left shoulder is ‘Japanese Samurai warrior,’ which symbolizes living the life based on loyalty to one’s master, self-discipline, and respectful, ethical behavior. Third, on his left arm is a ‘Monastery,’ which symbolizes a place of peace and power. Fourth on his left arm is ‘Lord Shiva in meditation with Mount Kailash and Mansarovar lake.’ Fifth on his right bicep is a ‘Scorpion,’ which is his Zodiac sign.
- He owns a restaurant in Delhi called ‘Nueva.’
- He is a truly determined sportsperson focused on his cricketing skills and fitness, for which he is idolized by many.
- On 11 December 2017, Virat and Anushka got married in a private ceremony in Tuscany, Italy.
Virat Kohli Awards
2013 – Arjuna Award
2017 – Padma Shri
2018 – Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
ICC ODI Player of the Year: 2012, 2017, 2018.
Virat Kohli Controversies
- In 2011, on his first tour to Australia, Kohli showed his middle finger to the Sydney crowd after they abused him when he was fielding the boundary at the boundary line during the second Test.
- In 2013, during a match between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kolkata Knightriders in IPL 6, Kohli and Gautam Gambhir had an ugly spat. After getting out, instead of walking back, Kohli made some remarks which angered Gambhir, after which both started abusing each other until Rajat Bhatia intervened.
- Before the 2015 World Cup in Australia, the BCCI disallowed the Indian players to stay with their wives or girlfriends during the World Cup. But according to reports, Kohli stayed in the same hotel where his girlfriend Anushka Sharma was staying.
- In 2016, Kohli abused a journalist after a practice session during the T20 World Cup. Kohli thought that that particular journalist had written an article about actress Anushka Sharma in the National Daily. Later, Kohli came to know that it was the wrong journalist, after which he apologized immediately.
- Though Anil Kumble was named the Indian cricket team coach in June 2016, in early 2017, many reports were doing rounds hinting at differences between Anil and Virat Kohli. However, before the Champions Trophy 2017, when the BCCI published an advertisement for the post of men’s Indian cricket team coach, Anil felt deeply hurt and decided to discontinue his coaching job. On 21 June 2017, Anil gave his resignation from the post of the Indian cricket team coach.
Virat Kohli Salary
Kohli is considered one of the world’s best batsmen and currently captains the Indian national cricket team. He is one of just three Indian cricketers selected for the nation’s A+ contracts, which guarantee an annual salary of $1 million in 2020. His fame helps him earn more than $20 million annually from endorsement partners like Audi, Hero, MRF, Puma, Valvoline, and more. His estimated Net Worth is Rs 400 crore.
Virat Kohli Cars Collection
- Toyota Fortuner
- Renault Duster
- Audi R8
- Audi A8
- Audi Q7
Virat Kohli Social Network